Surya Namaskar mantras:
We would like to extend an invitation to all participating in the Surya Namaskar offering on Saturday September 5 to attend a practice session on Thursday September 3rd at 4:30pm – 5:30pm. This session will be used to enable participants to experience and integrate the asana practice with the recitation of the surya namaskar mantras, which will be chanted on the day.
The surya namaskar mantras were traditionally orally recited as chant or contemplated silently by the one who practiced this sequence of asanas. Offered to Surya whilst facing east and the rising sun, the Namaskar series is a prayerful offering to the universal symbol of Supreme Consciousness. In the Vedic tradition and particularly in the hymns of the Rig Veda, Surya (the Sun) is the central deity of worship (as expressed in the sublime Gayatri mantra).
We will be synchronizing each asana with the appropriate accompanying mantra, which are included here. To do so transforms this practice. The mantras wash over us altering and transforming our awareness into a flowing prayer of graceful beauty that powerfully reunites the individual awareness with universal consciousness. To practice in this way and in the company of Gurudev elevates all who participate in this offering.
Some suggestions for those participating in the 108 Surya Namaskars:
– We have training sessions Monday-Friday at 4:30 – 5:30pm. You are welcome to attend one or all.
– A lead up practice is strongly advised of at least 20 rounds at a medium pace. Mindful of breath. The traditional version of the sequence that we will be doing can be seen on the attached with the mantras (mantras).
– A clean diet with sufficient protein and minimal or no stimulants eg. caffeine in the week prior.
The morning of the 5th:
– There will be breakfast served at 7:00am at the ashram for participants (if you wish to partake, please let us know so we can add you to the count). If not, then it is advised to eat at least 2 hours prior to the start. Hydrate well on this morning. However, getting closer to starting time of 108, have small amounts of water so as not to have a full bladder during the practice.
– We will begin at 9:00am. Please arrive by 8:30am for a briefing of the event details and to get yourself situated and do your warm up stretches.